Friday 28 December 2018

Boxing Week review: love and other catastrophes.

Regular readers will remember that I can't remarry and that a decent whack of my energies in 2018 went into making peace with that reality.  It shouldn't have been a problem of course.  There was an incident at the start of the year that purged me of carnal desire for quite a long time -



Considering things over the long view, I find there are four particular advantages to the way I live

1.  You appreciate happy families more

There are three family bloggers (should I say mommy-bloggers?) I regularly read -

Allie at Living My Full Life
Amy at A Desert Girl
Nikki at From My Life to Our Life

I always wanted a family: a wife 2.6 kids, a white picket fence and a basset hound.  That, clearly, will never happen now.  I find it makes me happy to know that someone else does have it.

2.  The friendzone is just fine

I've never been good at making friends, and most of those that I have made tend to be women.  Instagram gives a good idea of the numbers -





A post shared by Stephen Tuck (@sdtuc2) on
As a result, that side of my life basically resides in a permanent friendzone.  And I think this is a pretty good thing.  Why should a man object to having friends of any sort?

3.  It alarms the right sort of people

In a booze-fuelled and slightly surreal moment this year, a certain fellow enthusiastically claimed that a mutual acquaintance wanted to go to bed with me.  With the candour that alcohol brings, I replied that it would never happen and I explained why.  His genuine bewilderment - indeed, near horror - left me feeling remarkably powerful. 

4.  It obliterates the future

This one is a silver lining.  Once you know that you'll never have an orthodox family and will probably die alone, the future stops existing and you stop being overly worried about it.  Time, or at least your life-time, becomes essentially a very long "now".  You want to enter a race in Sydney?  Can you afford it?  Then do it!  Feel like a beer on a Sunday afternoon?  Nobody cares when you get home from the pub.  Want to put long hours into becoming the best lawyer you can be?  There's work for the asking.

Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac (from here)
It doesn't matter a curse what you do.  Put that Deadhead sticker on your Cadillac.

Assessment?

I've never felt more positive about what the future might hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment