Sunday 13 May 2012

Don't stop the presses...

Hi everyone,

Not an exciting or especially satisfying day today.

Up at 8am, some minor housework, and breakfast with two of the housemates. Toby was watching the AsiaPop show on SBS. AsiaPop gave me the same feeling I get watching Japanese Iron Chef: the sensation of seeing a mentality recognisably the same as your own, yet still somehow radically different. This revelation came from seeing several girl bands whose outfits and dance moves were easily as trashy as anything Gwen Stefani's ever done, but still somehow they looked like you could actually take them home to meet your mother.

I texted Joni to say happy mothers day and see if there was a chance of skyping, but I think she was at a friend's place, so that fell through. :( I hope the trinkets got through to her.  Sigh: you know the worst thing about being so far apart? The constant, un-shut-up-able whispering fear that the person you're missing doesn't miss you as much as you miss them.  Grrr, stop thinking those thoughts!!!

After breakfast (and I know this will come as a shock!) I headed to the office. Melbourne is still in a cold snap and the weather was saying: get used to it, you've got 4 months of this ahead of you.  Observe:






Not as productive a day as I'd have liked, but a few things knocked over plus I got out and got groceries as well. Dinner at the office while preparing for tomorrow's interview. Feeling passionate about this one. Hopefully that's a good omen! While I was doing that I also caught La Traviata fom the NY Met on the radio, and surely if anyone helps make you feel passionate it's Verdi!

I decided against calling Mum for Mothers Day. Whenever I've done it in the past she's tended to say a slightly thorny "thanks" and then hand the phone over to Dad, leaving me with the feeling it wasn't unwelcome, but also was not actually welcome either. I don't think there‘s a lesson to be drawn here except that she‘s not a Hallmark Card person.

Got back here in time to polish my shoes, select a suitable tie and shirt combo and have a cleanup. Now blogging and shortly, bed.

Wish me luck for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment