Wednesday 5 December 2012

Another tram post. Or not.

Hi everyone,

Well, I beat yesterday! Today's timesheets tell me I racked up a bit over 12 hours of actual work time today.  The life of a lawyer...


I managed to be in the office a bit before 8am, as planned. This gave me enough time to look over the file for the site inspection.  I was out at the employer‘s warehouse for about 4 hours. They were incredibly helpful, and it was certainly enlightening. They're actually the Australian arm of a US company.  On the way back, the cabbie's radio did a story about how employers in Minot, North Dakota, are struggling to get workers because everyone in the town wants to go and earn better money in the oilfields.  I found myself seeing if this business had any operations in Minot, ND, on the basis that it's still a lot closer to Louisiana than Melbourne (they don't).


Lunch today was the farewell lunch for the assistant of whom I have a 33% share. It was held at "Gurkhas", a Nepalese restaurant about a block from work. Their beef curry was awesome!

Then, back to the office for more drafting, advising and preparing for the FOUR hearings I have coming up. And now, leaving the office at 10:30pm.

No matter how late it is when I get to the casa I'm DEFINITELY going for a run. Partly for health reasons; mainly for psychological. The last two days, between stress and fatigue and all, I've been finding it harder than it's been in a while to bounce back from reverses, or to soak up mild (possibly imaginary) criticism. Two of my recent tweets were 
Screwed up again. I'd give up this lawyer thing but there aren't many jobs for someone whose skill set is "breathing" and "bladder control".
 and
If a teacher ever tells you your chosen career is better pursued by someone with a brain larger than a grape, believe them
Which should give you some idea of the difficulty I was having feeling positive about things!  So, a run to clear the head, get the endorphins going and force some fresh blood into my brain is definitely in order/

A propos of nothing, but in case you haven't noticed, it‘s been a great couple of days for space science. Yesterday the news was of Voyager 1 discovering a new region of the heliosheath.  And today, the Opportunity Rover - nine years into a three month mission - is still making discoveries on the Martian surface.  How cool is all this???

 
OK, now back at the sharehouse.  I did indeed go for a run - the usual 4 miles or so.  Although, this was a record time (32 minutes) and I was able to crank up the pace at the end for longer than usual, an extra 200 metres.  I either need to start trying to crank the time down or start lengthening the run!

OK, it's badly late (again).  Still, my head is clear and I'm ready to burn it all up tomorrow.  Definitely worth a late night.

See you tomorrow, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment