Thursday 1 November 2018

Office Healthy - Part 1

Quick show of hands: how many of you (in the southern hemisphere at least) are trying to get healthier as the weather warms up?  Everyone?  It certain seems to be the thing to do at my work, where the choice of fish for lunch appears to be keeping the nation's purse seiners in business.

On that note, this seems like a good moment to share two small things I'm finding are paying dividends at present.  The first is pre-packaging lunch.  I'm not a fan of eating tinned fish straight from the can, and even less so if it's salmon.  Yes, I know salmon is the best all-round healthy fish -  a regular piscatorial heptathlete - but I don't care for the flavour of canned salmon on its own.  THis is where pepper and the sharpness of raw broccoli come in.



Preparing lunch on Sunday night, I cut the broccoli into clusters and also cut the thick skin away from the core.  I layered this in a plastic tub and then gave it a good dusting with cayenne pepper:


On top of that went half of a 415gm can of salmon, which then got a decent drenching with Louisiana hot sauce (I suspect that horseradish cream would work well too but need more stirring).  It then went into the fridge for at least a night or longer to let the flavour of the pepper soak into the salmon.


Once at work, the whole lot will mix together once you scoop it out into a bowl.  About 90 seconds in the microwave will be enough to soften the broccoli for eating.



Total energy value about 315 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment