Friday 2 November 2018

Office Healthy - Part 2

Yesterday I put up my current go-to lunch in these days of "no really, I want to be healthier over the warmer months".  Today the subject is: how do I not go mental?

I've had a matter in the County Court this week.  As you can imagine, this usually involves a great deal of pulling threads together and making sure everything is done.  This naturally, requires a fair bit of activity and a measure of stress from both solicitor and assistant, especially if, like me, your week is already somewhat over-structured:

The diary sheet I use to organise my time

You can manage some of this by humming the Largo al Factotum a bit, but this only goes so far.  Anyway, yesterday I found myself in desperate need of a bit of calm.  Plugging in the earphones and running the "Calm" app seemed inappropriate during working hours, so a good alternative turned out to be grabbing my pocket notebook and writing down the first half-dozen or so impressions I had of my physical state -


Yes, I dated the entry: a lawyer cannot stop being a lawyer.
I can tell you this was a remarkably calming thing to do.  My body stopped (as it were) generating its own stress and the weight lifted off my shoulders.  If you're feeling the load at work, I can really recommend this as a chillout technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment