Sunday 1 September 2019

That Sunday life

And so Sunday draws to a close.  It's been another blur of activity, notwithstanding a late (9:15am) start.

The day kicked off with coffee and a cheese-and-vegemite scroll from the 7-Eleven at the end of the street, and I set to trying to clear out my SES and Gmail inboxes, Which ran to something like 765 unread emails.  After mass deletions, the number of unread emails was a bit over 60.  How many hours of human activity, I wonder, go into producing emails that are never actually read by anyone?



Unfortunately, I couldn't facetime with the girls as they and The Ex were at a friends place watching the game.  Time would have been a little truncated anyway as I'd committed to representing my SES Unit at the City of Darebin's Ngulu Nganjin event, celebrating indigenous people.  The event was very good, even if that sort of thing's not really my cup of tea.  Regardless, there's no part of the community we shouldn't try to be on good terms with.  Representing the Unit, though, meant that I needed to wear my dress uniform.  SES dress uniforms aren't especially dressy: essentially a blue shirt and pullover with a badge on the sleeve.  It struck me that, to the casual observer, I probably looked kind of like a car park attendant.  And then I thought "oh Lord … like the attendant out of Human Centipede 2" >shudder<.  What do you think?

 
 Disturbing or what?!?

After the event I came back here and had a meditation session and ploughed through some more emails until a heavy shower of rain had cleared though.  By a bit after 4pm it was gone and I decided to try a pub I'd walked past many times on my way home but never gone into: the Brandon Hotel.  I can recommend this one especially if you want somewhere to pass time with friends.  The front bar has a set of board games and every table has a deck of playing cards.  The bistro has a couches, a chessboard on most tables and a couple of shelves of books (mainly travel, wine and movies).  Me being me, I was content with a pint of Urban Ale and a copy of Catholic Weekly.  The food smelled good although I wasn't much hungry, so I'll try that some other day.

Beer and reading at the Brandon Hotel, Carlton, Australia
As the weather was holding up I decided to walk home rather than get the tram.  The road had heavy traffic and there was a kind of sad Sunday evening feeling in the air.  I got home and wrote a quick letter to the girls and made tomorrow's lunch and tonight's dinner.

Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Sunday evening.
And now, here I am blogging the day and thinking I need to have a cleanup and get to bed.  There's lots of exciting stuff coming up at work so I'm looking forward to the week.

How's your weekend been?









No comments:

Post a Comment