Wednesday 19 June 2013

Lone Star State travels: Love Field

I'm typing this in notepad on the drive from D's place to Love Field in Dallas for the flight to New Orleans. It was a pleasant evening last night - D cooked a pot roast and Lori and Andrew came over. I had a shower and packed my suitcase. Slept ok; woke once at about 3am.

I had a good talk with D this morning while waiting for the shuttle bus, about how to approach the next few days. I've been a little apprehensive about returning to Louisiana. It feels hard to go back there, when so many sweet memories were made there, and so many happily ever afters were bound up in it. Knowing that I'm going to the home of the blues, and so how I feel should fit right in, should be comforting but isn't.

D's recommendation was that I need to focus on making new memories in New Orleans, as opposed to moping about old ones. Obviously those new memories will revolve particularly and especially around Grace and Rachel, and I suppose some will revolve around how I relate to the Big Easy and Louisiana more generally. For better or worse, that world is part of me now and always will be. The sooner I can come to peace with it, the better.

While I've been typing this, we got to Love Field and I checked in. Remind me to try and come through here when I pass through Dallas in future - so much smaller and less shambolic than DFW! My flight today will take me to Houston and then on to N.O.

Thanks for a warm welcome Dallas, and for a great stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment