Saturday 25 April 2015

Rain, new boots and fencing

Hi everyone,

An outdoors day here in the Goulburn Valley.

The day started, in a way, at about 3:30am with a short sharp storm that rolled through and woke everyone up. It dumped about 9mm of rain here. Michael tells me it dropped about 20mm at Violet Town and Barry that there was over an inch at Mansfield.  No callouts for SES, interestingly (I kept waiting for my beeper to go off).  Destructive or not, it's beautiful to see the paddocks putting in a green garment of new grass.


I got the day underway with feeding the cow in the yards. She's still down and not able to fully stand up. This worries me with the weather getting colder and the ground being wet - she could easily get sick (in addition to injured). I've been giving here generous servings of oaten hay, and her appetite is good, but if she's not up by Monday the vet may be in order.


After I'd attended to the cow I dashed off a quick note card to an old and dear Canadian friend, to go along with some correspondence to Grace and Rachel, and to Centrelink (a feedback form to say: you guys actually do a great job!, which I'm sure they'll find a change to endless complaints).


I'd agreed to go and help Muchael fencing at Violet Town, and I decided this was a good day to break in some new boots to replace my old ones which (at nearly two hard years old) were starting to come apart.



Fencing at Michael's place took the form of stabilising the more decayed wooden posts with star pickets and fitting standouts on the fence to run electric wires. Good robust work.

Michael and I came back over here about 3pm.  Barry had also come over to lend a hand with getting the seeder running and we pitched in till day ran out of light.  Cool evening and glad of a fire.

Off to Euroa tomorrow morning for a cycling event ("Ride the Ranges"). Looking forward to it. It'll be interesting to see if cycling events are different to foot races! 

More tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment