Friday, 16 October 2015

Two-day catchup

Hi everyone,

I'm stealing some time to do a catchup post on the last day or two.  It's been fairly full.

Most of yesterday was taken up with attending the morning and afternoon sessions of day long set of Continuing Legal Education seminars.  Mostly they were genuinely helpful both for my current role and when/if I go back to private practice.  The only disappointment was one which was a bit unstructured and hard to follow.  I think it went something like this -
... like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Rumours that Springfield Retirement Castle was missing a resident could not be confirmed.

SES training in the evening was heavily administrative: a session on Standard Operating Procedures, after which I helped one of our new volunteers fill in his joining paperwork.  I then took him up to stores and kitted him out with a hand-me-down uniform, helmet, safety glasses, rigger's gloves and P2 mask.  I have to say, it's so cute how proud new members look in their first set of gear - you'd swear they grow another inch!

Today has been one of those days that kept promising more than it could deliver.  There was heavy cloud as I drove to work, and there's been very humid air all day.

In spite of which, there's been no rain aside from perhaps a single light shower.  If the pundits are right, pretty soon most of the grain cockies will be cutting their crops for baling into animal feed: it looks like they won't get enough rain to finish them.

Part of my drive to work

My own day has been dead quiet.  One of the other lawyers in our team asked me to help her file and log a couple of months worth of emails; this took a couple of hours.  There've also been a few of the standard administrative tasks as well.  The highlight of the day was going to the opp shop and returning with 6 books for 50c each!

Not much more to add.  Depending on whether I can get the pictures uploaded I'll probably post a review of the Dookie rail trail shortly.

Hope all is well with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment