Saturday 23 May 2015

How not to be Southern...

Hi everyone,

Today I learned a food-related lesson.

It was a beautiful morning and I decided to whip up a quick loaf of cornbread before lunch.  Somehow I just felt a passion for a Southern-style dish.

I had a few very old packets of corn muffin mix in the cupboard. All of them were some years past their best-before date, but I figured that absent weevils they should be fine.


I mixed the batter up with an egg and milk as per the packet and put it in a baking dish.


The oven was already on and set to 350F for a casserole.  I figured this would be close enough to the required 400F the packet recommended.


Wrong!  After half an hour it was cooked through and nothing clinged to a skewer jabbed into it.  However, it didn't look quite right in the pan:


On getting it out it was as flat and dense as a roof tile! (Pepper pot included for sake of scale)


Most disappointingly: it tasted faintly like  chalk and chlorine!  I guess the only lesson is: don't let packets get too old, and take temperature recommendations seriously.  Pretty sure it'll go to the dog I'm afraid.

So there you have it: my wannabe-Southern heart has a new skill to master!

No comments:

Post a Comment