Thursday 16 July 2015

Get Lost!

Hi everyone,

After last weekend's automotive tour de force, some of you may have been wondering 'what will the world's worst driver do for an encore?'.  I have an answer.

I got lost.

After SES training tonight I noticed I was a bit low in fuel and headed into Mooroopna, where the nearest 24-hour servo is (a BP, if you're wondering).  I knew there was a sign for Toolamba from there, so off I went, thinking it should intersect with the usual road I take to get home from work.  It probably does, but on the way I was seeing signs I didn't recognise and decided I must have gone too far.  I turned to the east on the first road I could, thinking that I had to run into the Goulburn River or a sign for Toolamba (or, ideally, both) sooner or later.

I passed though a rough looking gate and continued on a really rough road-cum-trail-cum-goat-track in among some bushland.  I thought it seemed like a road (albeit a rough one) and that if I kept going north I had to hit a proper road eventually.  This is one of the less evil sections -


Several twists and turns later I was hopelessly lost and suspected I was going in circles, and suspected I was about to get my little sedan bogged.  I gave in and looked up the map on my phone.  Gotta say: it wasn't finding any path through the trees.

In the event, I just kept trying to get the blue dot closer to the stub of the end of the road until I finally saw the way out.  Hooray!  In the other hand, I was still kind of lost.  I wound up driving back to Tatura to turn around and get back to here.  There you have it: a 25 minute trip that took nearly two hours and a quarter-tank of fuel.

Only me!

No comments:

Post a Comment