Saturday 9 July 2011

Southland Shopping Centre

I went to Southland Shopping Centre today for a few things (a haircut, chiefly).  A couple of observations stuck with me.

Firstly, I didn't enjoying being there as much as I used to.  In the past I've loved going to shopping malls.  I've been energised by the air-conditioned, coffee-scented, cinnamon-tinctured feel of it all.  Today didn't seem the same.  The place was full of life, but (stealing a line from Terry Pratchett) only in the same way a dead dog on an anthill is full of life.  Everything seemed tired and worn out and second best.  The lights were on, but that was the only resemblance to a scene of restless energy.  If you can imagine Piet Mondrian's Broadway Boogie-Woogie done in sepia, you'll get the idea.

Secondly, the people there seemed tired.  More tired than one would expect for a Saturday morning.  At the risk of being truly catty, it felt a little like being in a life size version of Dead Rising (a video game that involves slaughtering zombies in a Colorado shopping mall).  The most obvious difference was that the zombies in the game are better dressed than most of my fellow shoppers were today.  The undead also seem to have a stronger sense of purpose. Perhaps for my sins, I contributed to the general "living dead" feel of the place by capitalizing on the liquidation of Angus & Robertson.  Stopping in on their closing down sale netted me about $180.00 woth of books for $30.00. 

Thirdly, the music seemed washed out, as if one were hearing James Blunt sing "Delilah" on an endless ear-anaesthetising loop.  Before my haircut was done I was longing to hear something rough edged (Wallflowers "Sixth Avenue Heartache", for example).  Or at least something with some energy.  I don't particularly care for Ke$ha's music, for example, but "Blow" would have been a welcome change.

I hope this sense of gloom was just the cold weather.  Either that, or I'm becoming a terrible snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment