Thursday 3 March 2016

One long day

Hi everyone,

Yesterday became quite a long day!

I don't think I mentioned it before, but back in January I was appointed Controller of my SES Unit.  I'm finding I'm genuinely enjoying it, and it's a great team to lead.  Anyway, one of the responsibilities is doing a reasonably steady stream of paperwork, sorting out emails and informing people about training.

Yesterday afternoon I was at the office after work sorting through some of the paperwork for that evening's training session when my pager went off, advising of an accident just south of town.  I don't think I should post here about precisely how the job unfolded, so I'll take the liberty of simply sharing here the link to the statement issued by our friends at Victoria Police -
Fatal collision in Tatura: A man has died following an incident on the Murchison-Tatura Road in Tatura this afternoon. A Ford sedan travelling south…...
The SES team clocked off at about 1am, and I was at home and in bed about 3am.

The thing that I want to say is that the unit performed astonishingly well: there was no drama and no tunnel vision from anybody.  Everyone - from the crew leader to the member on the tools to the radio operator back at the shed knew their job and got on and did precisely what they were trained to do, despite the (let us say) intense circumstances.  Right now I could not be prouder of the men and women of our unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment