Friday 30 August 2019

Chasing Passion

I'm typing this in a pub in North Carlton on my way home on Friday night.  I'm very much of a mood to count my blessings.  I'm struck by how many good things there are in my life.  Surprisingly, for a Billy No Mates like me, one of the best things is the people.

I love knowing people who have a passion. Right now I have them in spades.

Image from here
There’s Gen, who used to be a legal secretary at work and who loves cheerleading.  She blogs about it here.  Her instafeed is a blaze of cheer images.  I know next to nothing about cheerleading, but her passion for her sport was and is infectious.



Then there’s Sarah.  Sarah’s a remarkably talented lawyer, but she lives for the stage.  When you talk to her about acting, you can sense the passion for her craft. You can hear the enthusiasm for getting the most out of every role she takes on.

There’s another person I know only as Miss Cosmopolita. She’s launched a line of swimwear that she now trying to get off the ground as a business.  There’s not much point me taking a prurient interest in her work and so I don’t.  I love the passion she has for creating beautiful things.


There’s Nat.  Nat was a personal injuries lawyer.  She threw it in to move to London and become a flight attendant (her picture settings don't let me share any here, which is a shame).  You can’t help but love her rebellion against the ordinary life, and it challenges the rest of us to ask: are we living our own best life?

Then there’s Nikki.  Nikki is a devout Christian who lives her faith with a passion and generosity that couldn’t help but draw people.    I can’t think of a better way of evangelising.  What was it St Francis supposedly said? “Preach all the time; if necessary”, use words” (again, no images I'm afraid).

Me? Long time readers will know that I’m pretty sure what I’m doing now is my vocation.  I don’t think I could be anything but an injury lawyer: this is what I was called to be, at least in this season of my life.  Being anything else would be a lie and a cheat.  I hope - very much - that I can emulate the drive that my friends have.

Are you living with passion?  Are you doing what you were called to do? 

Turn your mind to it. Life shouldn’t be lived in third-gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment