Friday 10 May 2013

Big ideas

Hi everyone,

Posting by phone tonight again.  Pondering one of those big ideas before I drift off to sleep. Ideais prompted by an exchange I had tonight on twitter with Victorian Opera re their upcoming production of "Nixon in China".

What I'm wondering is if opera is an exhausted art form, where there's nothing new to say and probably no one new to say it to.  One could perhaps say the same thing about the novel: that is, the cultural works in either field aren't new: they simply recycle old forms and tweak the content to a greater or lesser degrees

I add that even though I do enjoy "New Music Up Late" on ABC FM, I'm not sure it represents the future of music at all: very often the cacophony seens to be intent on conveying no other idea than "I am not Liszt".

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment