Friday 6 September 2019

A few Friday thoughts

It's a bit after midnight on Friday night, and I'm having a ham toastie and a glass of wine and winding down.  Yesterday was a big day at work and today was as busy, with the added bonus of a directions hearing in a matter where my case strategy has basically become "war to the knife".  It started early with Mass at St Francis' followed by breakfast with a few members of the Catholic Lawyers' Association.  That, in particular, I'd been looking forward to.  In the wake of the Pell decision it felt good to be among fellow believers.

Friday evenings are usually a low key affair for me when I'm in Melbourne for the weekend.  In a blur of enthusiasm I usually play the monologue from Human Traffic before I leave the office.  However, then I remember that I don't do well with other people, and Friday night becomes more like this -



This evening was no exception.  I was at the office until 10pm wading through a pile of correspondence, and then walked home via the Tramway Hotel.  This bar was just what I needed: a number of empty tables and a reassuring number of other schlubs drinking alone.

Tramway Hotel, North Fitzroy
I took the time to plan out my weekend to the last half hour.  I can recommend the Urban Alley "District IPA" while doing this, by the way.  I walked the rest of the way to my digs.

And here I am, blogging with a glass of plonk at my elbow as my phone occasionally beeps at me.

I'm good with all this.  Life is how it's meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment