Sunday 16 February 2020

Road to Wollongong: Prologue


For a while I’ve been thinking I needed another mountain to climb.  I believe I’ve found one.

You remember that I said I while ago that I wanted to try a lot of new things?  Things I’d not done before?  That was brought back into mind recently by something that happened at SES.  One of the newer members who I helped train last year came back from the summer break sporting a healthy pregnancy bump.  This rattled me a bit.  I couldn’t figure out why.  I only know her as a fellow volunteer.  I don’t know anything at all about her private life.  So, why should it matter to me?  The best guess I could come up with was a sense of life leaving me behind.

This lead me to consider finding myself another mountain to climb.  Happily, this didn’t take long.

The Australasian Police and Emergency Services Games are held every two years, and this is one of those years.  The games are open to (inter alia) “registered volunteers … from eligible emergency service agencies across Australasia, including New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and South East Asia”.  Since I don’t meet the criteria to compete in the World Police and Fire Games, this is as high a level as I can compete at.  Further, they’re being held in Wollongong, on the New South Wales coast south of Sydney.  This is reachable from where I live (flight to Sydney; train to Wollongong).

The event I've set my mind on is my preferred race distance, the half-marathon, which will be run on Friday 23 October 2020.  This is 8 months away, and I'll be training up for it: I want to put up the best time I can while the chance presents.

So, expect this blog to get a bit running-heavy for the next few months: Let's see where this road can go!

No comments:

Post a Comment