Tuesday 2 July 2013

The new job

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's taken me a while to post this: a couple of evenings of crashing into bed dead tired does not consort well with active blogging.

Yesterday I started the new job.  I have to say, I like how it's shaping up!  It's a smaller firm, about 25 people, but that means I've now met nearly all of them.  Unlike the last two jobs, where induction took a solid 3+ days, induction took about 90 minutes, and that included learning where the toilets were!

I'm actually rather liking the idea of small town practice: every time I mention where I'm living people say something like "oh, that's just down the road from my cousin!". When I went to the Telstra shop today to change my phone service over and join the iPhone generation, the sales assistant mentioned that at the weekends she plays netball for Murchison, and I could truthfully say I'd seen them mentioned on the local TV news.  I kind of like that.

The work is very much TAC, which I'm a tad rusty on but can certainly get my edge back. I have a very good feeling about it!

I've been looking at the process for applying to sit the Texas bar exam and also at various bar review courses. It's both less and as daunting as you might expect.  I still have to do it though, both for my girls and for me.  I refuse to wind up how one imagines Granville from Open All Hours did, a sad old flop who life passed by, eternally mumbling sentences that include the word 'coodabeen'.

At the risk of cliche, the things you most regret will be the chances you didn't take.

Well, it's time for me to sleep.  Have a good day peoples!

More tomorrow.

1 comment: