Sunday 23 February 2014

Weekend

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL a few days.  In one of my matters the defendant made a lightning adjournment application and that kind of hogged my attention the last few days.

Thursday evening I drove down to Melbourne so to be at the County Court for the 9:30am application.  I stayed at Jennie and JP's place, and that had me driving down Kings Way and Dandenong Road at about 9:00pm.  Seeing the city lights, for a moment I caught the feeling of possibility I had as a teenager - say 15 or 16 - seeing the city from the country.  Interesting little flashback!

It was great to see Jennie and JP.  They always make you feel so welcome!

Friday was the day of the application.  Our barrister was coming up with a scrolling list of reasons why we should consent to the application and nearly had a fit when I said I was  willing to subpoena a doctor - and prevent him going overseas - in order to keep the date.  I'm a little proud to say I was completely able to hold the line and said, in essence, "yes, it's a risky decision, but it's mine and I've made it".

All of which was still a little academic as the application succeeded.  The client was a trifle displeased and I needed a few good stiff drinks on Friday evening!

I was still licking my wounds a bit on Saturday, so I kept it peaceful - read a few of backlogged issues of Perspectives on History and did a couple of sudoku puzzles.  And a run... I was planning on about 12 kms but got to 16 kms/10 miles.  Speed not so great but steady and strong which I'm pleased by.

The highlight of today - Sunday - was skyping with the girls.  Or specifically, with Grace.  They'd had a huge day and Rachel's nap had turned into her night's sleep!  Anyway, so Gracie-Lou and I played - she set out Mickey Mouse cards in front of the iPad so we could play a card game, and she played with some dolls too, and we talked :).  The only thing that troubles me a little was that towards the end she said "nothing can cheer me up dad". And no matter what I did - talking to her, trying to encourage her to sing with me, asking if we could play cards again - she did look sad.  I'm sure it's just her being 4 years old and a very tired little pumpkin, but it worries me a little that feeling sad just seemed to drop out if the sky and land on her.  Worry about them both a lot.  Hate being a long distance dad - like hate it to the nth degree.  I must be there when they need me.

Not much else to note. Dad and Michael came back this afternoon but will probably head south tomorrow with a load of steers for Pakenham.  Weather warming up again.  Lordy let if rain. 

More tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment