Monday 16 January 2012

Another interesting day

It's been a good, and perhaps eventful, day.

I was running a bit late this morning due to oversleeping, the result of being in bed later than planned and also the cumulative tiredness from the weekend's walking.  Google Maps told me that from the sharehouse to my office is 3.8 miles, so doing that three times this weekend, plus other schlepping around, meant  I covered about 12 miles at the weekend.  I'm pleased about that.

Anyway, so I was running late this morning.  I got in on the dot of nine and grabbed my file for a directions hearing at Court and scurried down.  I'm hoping to do far fewer appearances myself from this point.  They always chew up a solid 90 minutes at least of the day and they're work I can easily hand to a clerk to do, so that's what I'm going to do.

My boss was back at work today and I had a few case reviews which went successfully and we seem to be on track.  Good.  At lunch I went to the post office to try to send the box-o-love to Joni and Grace and Rachel.  Australia Post said it was too big, and after a fruitless 5 minutes trying to talk the assistant into taking it anyway, I lugged it back to the office again.  Fun on a 30 degree day!  After work I went back to the office (more of this in a minute) and arranged for FedEx to take it.  I have to say I was impressed: They'll come and pick it up from my office (i.e. they come to me), they'll deliver it door to door, and get it there quicker than the postal service, and they're only marginally more expensive than what I was budgeting to pay in postage.  All praise to FedEx then!  I was kind of impressed that they could actually have done the delivery in two days if necessary, although at a hefty additional fee.  Still,  it's useful to know that if it's really necessary, I can get anything to Joni and the girls they need inside of 48 hours.

After work I came back here to collect some of my suits that need dry cleaning, to drive back to the office so that tomorrow I can take them to the drycleaners downstairs.  And yes: I made one of my titanic driving f***-ups.  So I carelessly decided just to go the same route as my tram to work takes.  This went fine until I found myself facing west at the intersection of Swanston Street and Bourke Street.  See, at this point, Swanston is a pedestrian mall, Bourke is a pedestrian mall and you're in a sunken bit of road where a U-turn is physically impossible in anything less durable than an Abrams tank.  So, with the setting sun in my eyes, I drove through a pedestrian mall.  Mercifully I didn't collide with a tram or (infinitely worse) a pedestrian.  I think I just used up all the divine protection in the car's St Christoper badge (which reminds me: I must thank Joni's brother Philip who gave us the badge!).

After dropping off the suits and finishing the FedEx arrangements I came back here and had dinner.  I'd planned to cook, but it was nearly 10pm and so I warmed up the last of yesterday's risotto.  Shower, shave, and now blogging. It's just after 11pm, and as soon as I post this I'm turning in.

Incidentally, my reader stats tell me I'm getting visitors from all sorts of exotic places - Malaysia, Taiwan, Colombia and the Palestinian Territories, among others!  Thanks for stopping by.  Stay classy!

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment