Sunday 12 August 2012

Dulllllll Sunday!

Hi everyone,

Another fairly unexciting update, I'm afraid.  My Sunday consisted of doing laundry in the morning and going to the office and to Mass in the afternoon.  Man, dull even for me.

I'm still pondering the implications of the statistic of 46% functional illiteracy.  There was a very good article on the likely fallout in City Journal. It did tend to clarify a long standing impression I'd had from my days as a plaintiff lawyer.  I'd often had the impression that a lot of clients were stupid, and talked and thought in cliches, expecting the world to work like TV.  Now, looking at it, it seems to me that for a large number of them, that was, quite literally, almost the only source that they had for ideas and narratives and vocabulary in which to describe the world.  The problem that this translates into for society is easy to see: a population which often sees the world in ways that are simplistic, or which have no identifiable connection with reality at all.

Troubling.

OK, I guess this is enough for tonight.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment