Monday 24 June 2013

In the city of Jazz: headaches and numberplates

Hi everyone,

Typing this while I have a much needed iced coffee (mild roast with wedding cake flavoring).


Today hasn't been over exciting. I gave myself breakfast out this morning, at the illustriously named Daisy Dukes on Chartres Street.

 
I love southern biscuits and gravy, but hadn't had them so far, so I had them and coffee and made a to-do list.  Daisy Dukes does 24 hour breakfasts and is worth going to: the service is clean and quick and the coffee is good. The biscuits were a little spongy, rather than buttery and flaky, although that's no real criticism: biscuits, to be their best, need a fair bit of time and work, which doesn't really sit with a high output kitchen. Anyway, whatever the biscuits lacked was more than made up for by the gravy: peppery, full of flavor and very hearty.


I went back to the hotel to try and rent a car from Hertz using the deals available through United Airlines. There then followed three damn hours of slow web movement, unhelpful websites, annoyance eating and climbing blood pressure. After the first two-and-three-quarter hours I went to the website of United's other partner, Avis. Within 15 minutes their system had taken the booking and within 30 minutes after that I was driving away from their Canal Street yard in a VW Beetle.  They couldn't have been more helpful!


Those of you who know me know that I'm somewhat disturbingly obsessed with number plates.  You'll understand why it's a real bonus for me to be driving around in a car with Tennessee plates!



Back to the Hotel and attended to some further paperwork and an email with Joni re arrangements for the next few days.

I guess I should get ready to go out to Spahrs at Des Allemands for dinner with Joni and the girls.  I need to select the presents to take to them.  Now that's a job to enjoy!

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment