Tuesday 18 June 2013

Lone Star State travels: I start with a biscuit

Saturday I was awake at about 5:20am to get ready for the 6am cab to the airport.  The taxi was supplied by Metro Cab Co. This company I'm happy to recommend: their website is easy to navigate and allows online taxi booking, and their driver was there on the allotted time.

LAX was startlingly crowded when I got there.  Checkin was followed by a gloriously diet-unfriendly breakfast at Carl's Jr.  Imagine a breakfast burger, only with a buttery biscuit for a bun and slathered in cheese and you have a jawdroppingly wonderful piece of artery clogging goodness.









Thus fortified, I made the flight to the Lone Star State.


I always enjoy having a window seat on Flights overland, although on this one I was fighting off sleep, ultimately unsuccessfully.  Although I was awake enough to spot the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead, which made me double happy.

Dallas Fort worth airport feels like it was designed at a boozy lunch where someone got the idea that the coolest thing ever would be a set of roadways and pavements in patterns as lengthy and complex as a huge bowl of spaghetti.  A LOT of walking was involved in finding the right carousel for my luggage, and then getting to the pickup point for the shuttle bus.

The shuttle bus itself is worthy of a plug.  It's called Super Shuttle and operates at a number of airports around the world.  It works by asking you to prebook by saying where you want to go, then aggregating you with others going in the same direction, then having a minibus take you there.  It's less direct and takes a bit longer than a taxi, but on my reckoning about half the price.

While in Dallas I'm staying with an old friend, D, who has a spare bed.  We spent some time catching up and reassuring her dog I'm not a maniac.  We went to a local Mexican place for very late lunch / early dinner, after which her friend Lori together with Lori's son Andrew came by.  Really nice, friendly people.  D has a number of health problems and turned in early.  Beautiful coloured sky outside in the evening.

 

I sat up for a bit flipping channels and updating Facebook.  Bed at 11:00

No comments:

Post a Comment