Tuesday 18 June 2013

Lone Star State travels: The Grassy Knoll

This finally brings the blog up to date!  Yay me!

I had the morning to myself here, as D had to go off to a couple of doctors appointments.  I put the time to use, doing some laundry, writing postcards and began cooking smothered porkchops.  I was tempted to go for a run but somehow didn't find the time.

D got back by about 1pm.  She was still feeling the effects of medical treatment and looked like she could do with a rest, so I headed out go the Sixth Floor Museum - a museum dedicated to the Kennedy presidency and particularly his assassination.

As the name suggests, the museum is on the sixth floor of the Texas Book Depository, that from which Lee Harvey Oswald took the fatal shots.  I don't suppose it needs my endorsement:  one can't go go Dallas without a hat-tip to the assassination.


That said, it IS a well done museum:  the bio of Kennedy and his presidency is a little hagiographic, but that's not exactly surprising.  The story of the shooting is easy go follow despite being detailed, and the conspiracy theories are fairly discussed: summarized, but not held up to mockery.  You can stand at the window next to the fatal window (which is screened by plate glass) and look down to the road surface below where the sites of the bullet impacts on the president are marked.  I interject that looked at from that perspective, the shot which killed the president was not especially challenging, save for it being a moving target.  Considering Oswald had made a rest for the rifle and was using a telescopic sight, I'm sure he could have made the shot.

After leaving the museum I went down to look at the markers on the road surface itself.


As I'd long promised, I went over to the grassy knoll and shouted "duck".






I came back using the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART).

 
This is a surprisingly good system - more trams and light rail than a full blooded train service.


It runs frequently, it's clean and a daypass costs $5.00.

Back here by 8:30.  Porkchops came out great!  Some computer stuff, TV and bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment