Friday 21 June 2013

In the city of Jazz: Red beans and rice

Hi everyone,

I'm starting this post while I sip an Abita "Purple Haze" and wait for my red beans and rice at the Oceana Grill. It's been a pleasant evening so far: I've had equal amounts of Dixieland and Cajun music, and some of the best Bloody Marys I've ever had.  It's a stunning night to be in New Orleans; that full moon says to me that there may be some sore heads in the morning.



fter dinner I expect I'll head back to the hotel, although part of me is inclined to go back to the Bayou Club for another hit of Cajun music. I know I should turn away from it, after all that's happened, but why should I give up something I love, and that I think my little princesses will love too?  Nose/sever/face/spite?  In that regard, can I give a plug to Brandon Miller & the Louisiana Inferno who can really put some life into a venue and some energy into the music!


The musical highlights of this evening have included a Dixieland version of Irving Berlin's "What'll I do?" and a street duet consisting of an electric guitar and a violin playing a stunningly imaginative version of Gershwin's "Summertime".

The first of these especially encourages me somehow. I love Dixieland as a musical style, and "What'll I do?" is something I used to croon to Joni when we were going to part. I don't at all think this presages me and Joni getting back together, but somehow the musical confluence seems to me to be a good augury.


Oceana Grill is very good. It's just off of Bourbon Street. For anyone aged over 25, this is a plus. Bourbon Street is fun, but there comes a stage where the smell of drying vomit loses its appeal. The Grill is busy - there's a constant stream of people in and out - but still feels spacious and unhurried.


The red beans and rice arrived after about half a beer and was 95% of perfection. The red beans were velvety and full of flavor. I added a fair bit of hot sauce, although that's because I tend to like it a fair bit more spicy than usual. My only criticism was that the sausage in it came as a single link, rather than in pieces. On the other hand, it was wonderfully smoky, so I'd call that an overall win.


I went for dessert as well - bourbon pecan pie - which achieved the neat trick of not being over-sweet and let the pecans be the star of the dish (does anyone think I've watched too much Iron Chef?).


In a nutshell, I'm a big fan of this place and can assuredly recommend it!

Dinner completed, I think it's time I went back to the hotel and got some sleep in ahead of the zoo tomorrow.

See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment