Tuesday 18 June 2013

Lone Star State travels: Among the Mexicubes

I had one of the best night's sleep I've had in ages.  Talked with D for part of the morning while waiting for Lori and Andrew to stop by.  Lori and Andrew are practicing Catholics, and they were happy for me to attend Mass with them at St Anthony's.  The priest did a good, well organized Mass for a pretty large congregation.  I should add that it's a very mixed congregation: as well as Anglos and Latinos, there were many Indian, east Asian and African faces.

Lori comes from a large family blended of Cubans and Mexicans (she explained that they call their children Mexicubes), and as D was utterly under the weather, she (D) suggested I go to Lori's family's Fathers Day get together.  They assured me that friends of friends are entirely welcome, even if one's grasp of Spanish begins and ends with what I learned from Dora the Explorer.  Lori duly made a cheese dip to take, and I bought a couple of bottles of wine from the store.  It was a great afternoon.  How great?  This great!







I'd been warned to bring swimming gear and the pool was heavenly.  Interestingly, two of Lori's nieces had dealt with Australian entities a lot in connection with the minerals and defense contracting industries.  Small world!

Lunch took the form of cheeseburgers and hotdogs, along with (inter alia) guacamole, potato salad and the best salsa I've ever eaten.








We finished up by about 7pm and I was back at D's by about 8pm.  Watched some TV and updated the blog.  Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment