Friday 7 September 2012

I am not dead!

Just like this fellow, I am not dead!





Sorry for the somewhat patchy blogging over the last week or so.  It's been a difficult week or three on a few levels, and truthfully, I just haven't wanted to write about it all.  I've been happy to write a bunch of other stuff - things at work, emails, some rather pedestrian little bits of history - but blogging has been a bridge too far.  Suffice it to say that something I'd always taken to be a Hallmark Card-ism turns out to be very true:  You can tell your friends because they're the people who are running towards you when you couldn't blame anyone for slinking away.

Work continues well.  I'm a little behind schedule, but only a day or so.  It feels kind of great not to feel like the goofy kid.  That was a bit of a difficult thing at the last two jobs.  At the old old job, I was kind of known as Mr Fixit - the lawyer/secretary/law clerk/IT guy/photocopier fixer - the one who was a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none.  No wonder my career stagnated.  And at the old job, I guess one was so closely scrutinized that you always felt like you were failing.  And at this one - well, I guess I kind of like hearing things like "I'll let you get on with it, you're an experienced operator" or "but I don't need to fix it for review  - you know what needs to be done".  And believe it or not, I feel better about what I do - for the first time, like it's not just a daily exercise in trying to avoid the next screw-up.  No, this won't be what I do with the rest of my life; I'd feel that was a bit of a waste.  But it feels good to think, maybe I'm good at this after all!

This will be a weekend in town - will catch up with sister J and mum and dad tomorrow.  I'll get my backlog cleared on Sunday I guess.  Tomorrow I need to go for a run: tonight's dinner went a bit overboard (a parmesan and onion batard, spread with an avocado and chickenmeat). [Ron Burgundy voice] This dinner is delicious but it is filling.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment