Sunday 23 September 2012

The rag ends of memories

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm back in Melbourne.  It's been a really fun weekend - check out the Instagram photos for proof!

It's late and I need to turn in, but I wanted to put up a series of random thoughts and memories that I had skating through my head on the drive back tonight as I was flipping though my iPod.  This is one of the exasperating things about having an INFJ personality type: all of these bits and pieces seem to fit into a pattern I can't quite pick up.

So, the images were

  • Listening to Counting Crows' "Omaha" while in my dorm room (for my American readers) at university in 1996 and being entranced by the idea of a place that seemed quintessentially American, and normal, and where a person could go to escape.

  • Hearing Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me" and remembering standing at the foot of the internal stairs at the Monash law building in about 2000 and wishing I was the sort of person who watched Dawsons Creek.

  • Listening to Bush's "Glycerine" being played in a McDonalds in Albury on a winter night in 1996 as my father, oldest sister and I made the long drive back from Canberra.

  • Hearing "Push" and "3AM" took me back to walking around the stairway I lived on in the Monash Uni Halls of Residence in 1998 the year Matchbox20 were first really big.

  • Listening to Fuel's "Shimmer" while working with my cousin Shane building the house extension in the summer of 1998-9.

  • Hearing Oasis' "Wonderwall" and always thinking of it as the theme song on the walk back from campus to the Halls of residence in 1996-8

  • Hearing Donna Lewis' "I Love You Always Forever" while drinking room temperature Subzeros on my own sitting beside the creek on our property in late November 1996 and thinking I must be somehow cool.

  • Hearing Smashing Pumpkins "1979" throughout the late 1990s and finding it spoke to me despite the lyrics being almost incomprehensible.

  • Hearing a parody of Everclear's "Santa Monica" at a friend's 18th birthday party in Nunawading on a bitterly cold night in the winter of 1996.  The band was wearing wetsuits for reasons that were never made clear.

All of this seems to fit into something but I don't see what.  It's like a bunch of neurons inside my brain have some piece of information they're not willing to share with the rest of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment