Monday 24 September 2012

Late to a link up

I don't have any brilliant ideas for a  blog post tonight, so, so I've decided to do another link-up with these good people.  Besides which, I met a lot of nice folks from the last one, and you can never have too many friends.

Yes, I could tell you about my day, but I can tell you: I was there, and it wasn't exciting.  Besides, I just finished off a short (1500 words) legal article and emailed it off (the things I do to buff up my CV!), so I think I'll write something a bit fun here.

And yes, I'm aware that, looking at all this, some of you may be wondering "Dude, what the Hell happened to your Y-chromosome?".  All I can say in response is "I'm not worried".  Some of you know I got knocked around a bit in school; turns out one of the long term results of that is that you don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of you.  If it feels good, and you're not breaking the law, go to it and good luck.

All that said, on to the questions -


What is something you have wanted to do but are afraid of?

I don't want this answer to sound cocky, but I honestly couldn't think of anything I am afraid of now (as opposed to thinking, doing xyz would be foolhardy).  Regular readers will know that in the last year I've kind of slammed headlong into a bunch of the worst experiences I could have imagined aside from death of a child or a parent.  While the storm isn't yet over, what I've learned is that with some hard work, and some prayer, and an ounce of luck, you can go through some pretty unpleasant stuff and emerge out the other end with nothing worse than some abraded skin and some scratches in your duco.  As Pope John Paul II said, "Be not Afraid".


Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Being as good a husband and father as I can be, for starters.  Career-wise, while the law has a lot going for it (pay, for example), it's not what I want to do forever.  In five years, I'd love to be rummaging in an archive writing the Ultra-Complete History of Absolutely Everything Ever.


Or, even better, kneeling in an archaeological trench somewhere with a trowel in on hand and Phil Harding hair (seriously, watch "Time Team" - this guy is a legend).







What are you looking forward to before the end of 2012?

Getting a few more publications up, including the piece on Richard III that I keep not getting to.  I'm so glad I started writing again - so if you're reading this, many big thank you's to Second-Oldest-Sister

(and yes, the apostrophe in "you's" is probably wrong, but to me "yous" looks more wrong).



What are your hopes for your blog?

I started blogging essentially as a way of trying to sort out a bit of a mess inside my head, and I'm glad it's now moved beyond that, even if sometimes I use it to vent or to wallow in self-pity. I hope every now and again I put up something someone likes or gets a laugh out of.   Seems pretty good to me.

Do you always see yourself living in your current town/city?

You guys know that my wife and daughters are in America; whatever happens to that relationship, I want to be a part of my darling girls' lives, which means I'm going to have to move closer to the 9286 miles apart we are now.  So if anyone knows of an employer looking to hire a personal injuries lawyer-cum-wannabe historian, pass them my linkedin page from over to the right of this entry.  Something south of the Mason-Dixon Line would be ideal although the US economy being what it is I'm happy to consider anything south of Canada.
 
What is your morning routine?
Depending on how late I'm running, check my emails, blog, facebook, twitter, instagram and linkedin (no, I'm not joking; addicted or what?)


Then get up, wash my face and have a cleanup (I shower in the evenings), put on a suit, grab lunch from the fridge and head for the tram.  At some point, the Dalek inside my head begins grating "commute, commute, commute".  This makes me feel better: I share this experience even with a species that wants to take over the universe



See you tomorrow people.

No comments:

Post a Comment