Monday 7 January 2013

Back to Work...

Hi everyone,

Typing this on a warm evening with Miles Davis on the speakers.  The windows are open in the hope of catching any wandering breeze, and if it were any more humid I'd be sitting here naked, neighbours be damned!

How've your days been?  My first day back at work today.  I managed to get out of bed and into a suit at a reasonable time and was in the office about 8:15am.  I spent most of the morning sorting out the mess I left in December, updating the deadlines on my whiteboard, setting priorities and generally getting organised.  I have tolerable hopes for the next however-long going well.

The day itself was, as you might have guessed, unexciting.  Getting back into the work groove is never easy; I usually find it takes me a few days.  So, I left about 6pm.  I was surprised to learn that the 20km run I did on Saturday was just short of a half-marathon(!) and my legs and feet were still sore, so I went to the City Baths for a swim to loosen the legs up and give them some low impact exercise and swam about a mile.

Dinner in my room and more research for the article I'm writing.  Have punched out about 2000 words and frankly think it could be a doctoral thesis if I had endless time, money and no other priorities in my life.

Starting to sniff out jobs in the US.  I have to get there before the girls get much older.  There may be some opportunities in Oklahoma, where they're overhauling their workers comp system.  I have the skills, but it's still a ways from Louisiana and not work I want to do.  Still, I might not be in a position to be picky (although, that sort of thinking is a big whack of how I wound up in my current situation ... or at least in the negative bits of it.  Hmm.)

OK, I guess that's it for tonight.  More tomorrow.

See you then.  Be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment