Friday 11 January 2013

Fired. Again.

Hi everyone,

I've had better days.

I woke at 5am and had some coffee and sat around at a bit of a loose end watching CBS's "This Morning" on Channel 10 until just before 7am, when I shaved, showered and got dressed for work. The morning was unremarkable, apart from that I spent a couple of hours preparing my defence for the meeting with my bosses and HR this afternoon.  I was feeling pretty good about it after I'd done it, and felt I could give a fair explanation for things and largely exculpate myself.

2:30pm rolled around and I strode down to the meeting room feeling pretty good.  I came in and sat down.  In hindsight, I probably should have grasped the significance that they'd already poured me a glass of water before I arrived.  Well, my main boss came straight to the point: the stuff up at work the other week was the last straw.  They were terminating my employment on unsatisfactory performance grounds.  Ordinarily they would be terminating me immediately, but as a grace would give me eight weeks notice.  So, I can work the next 8 weeks and attend interviews etc while I look for another job.  They allowed me to say what I had in mind to say, but the decision had been made.

I thought that this could happen but was still rather stunned and finished early for the day.

I didn't know what to do next.  I called Joni and advised her.  She was about as sympathetic as I'd expected her to be.  She still thinks that I can find another job like this one, which is unlikely.  Both my employer, and The Client, and the worker's lawyer know what happened, and the story will spread quickly, which means my reputation is basically wrecked and my chances of finding further work in my field are slim to none.

So, I've been scoping out what my other options are this afternoon and evening and went over a few options with Oldest Sister Economist through GoogleTalk.  I couldn't face my housemates, so dinner was eaten in my room for the umpteenth time.

There's no point giving up, I know.  As long as my hands and brain work and I can keep putting my feet on the floor in the morning, things can get better.  Say what you like about my Mum and Dad, but they didn't raise any quitters.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this, Stephen! I have no doubt that you will rise above this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cori. I keep reminding myself that things happen for a reason!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry! I've been off blogs for awhile and had no idea. Praying about all this. You're a good man. Don't let this set back stop you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! I've been off blogs for awhile and had no idea. Praying about all this. You're a good man. Don't let this set back stop you!

    ReplyDelete