Wednesday 16 January 2013

Divorce and weight loss.

Hi everyone,

This might be kind of a post in the "Note from the Management" vein.  I don't think the blog's about to go on hiatus, but it might be a bit erratic for a little while.

Anyway, I think that after today I can safely say that 2013 can only get better.  Today, at about 1:30pm, Joni emailed me draft divorce papers.  Originals to follow by mail.  As the matter is, formally, before the Louisiana courts, I'll adhere to training and won't discuss the litigious aspects further here.

By now (about 11pm) I'm a bit more settled, thanks to some awful supportive emailing with Oldest Sister Economist, Second Oldest Sister and Little Sister.  I've said it before, but it bears repeating: they're quality sisters and I'm lucky to have them.  It makes me wish I hadn't been such a bratty brother to them growing up!

I've honestly spent most of the last ten hours trying to process it all.  I thought it might be coming but, when it came in, it was much more of a shock than I expected.  I gave my assistant and boss a heads up and left early.  I found myself on Bourke Street and somehow found myself impelled to go to 5:30pm Mass at St Francis.  They have a beautifully peaceful Marian Chapel there, and to be honest, these are the moments when the Mass, with its familiarity and repetition and order, really comes into its own: it gives your brain just the right level of distraction, you could say. I came back here and knew the best next step was a long run, which got the endorphins and blood pumping, followed by an inappropriately healthy dinner (believe it or not, I actually wanted wraps, meat and tomatoes more than I wanted cookie dough) while watching Time Team.

I'd love to be able to give you some sort of pithy summary or brilliant insight, but I don't have one.  I'm still, just, processing.  I'm not about to throw out all the American food I have, or burn all my LSU or New Orleans Saints stuff.  For better or worse, Grace and Rachel mean that that will always be part of my life.  And it seems stupid to give up anything that made you happy.  Quod bonum tenete.  I don't know yet how I'll tell my parents.  It'll be a real kick in the guts for them.

And the weight loss?  When I got back from my run, my scales said I was down to 84kgs.  This means I've somehow dropped 3 kgs in 10 days.  I don't recommend getting fired and divorced in quick succession as a means of losing weight, but it does appear to work.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I have no doubts getting fired, and divorced is an effective tandem to lose weight. You can burn those fats with a whole lot of physical, mental and emotional exhaustion you’re going to endure, especially from the divorce. There’s the battle for custody, division of assets, distribution of debts and so on. How long did the process last, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi WB Law!

    It's still going on I'm afraid. I've got a good lawyer in New Orleans; hopefully things can be dealt with in a civilized manner. It's perhaps a bit slower than the norm as my (ex)wife is self-representing.

    ReplyDelete