Thursday 24 November 2011

Late Steak Mistake

It's been a busy day, with a lesson at the end of it.

This time, I'm on my laptop at the house, rather than on my phone on the tram.  I've got some Dixieland playing in the background, and I've had a certain amount of Cointreau that I brought from Heatherton.  I'm also delaying leaving the room.

The reason for the delay will become clear in a moment.

The day, as I said, was busy.  I spent a reasonable amount of time preparing for my performance review this afternoon, and a lot of time getting files up and running.  Just, well, busy.

The performance review was an interesting experience.  Both I and my two managers had pretty similar views as to my strengths and weaknesses, and where I need to improve.  When I'm feeling good, I really think I can do it.  Push on, I say... but there's always the nagging feeling of being intractably a second-rater.  Push on, I guess.

I got back to the house about 9pm and cooked up dinner - two pieces of fillet steak (one for tonight, one for tomorrow), pan fried with olive oil, chili flakes, pepper and salt.  I also heated up some canned tomatoes with black pepper, onion powder, rosemary and salt.  On the plus side... I didn't ruin the steak (this is close to a first for me).  On the negative side... as I was cleaning up, a terribly polite Indian gentleman from the front room came out and switched on the extractor fan, pointing out that the smell of frying steak (and olive oil, and chili flakes, and pepper, and salt) had filled the rest of the house.  When I came up to my room (the furthest one from the kitchen), I found the smell really was filling the house.  Now I can hear that someone has turned on the extractor fans in the upstairs bathrooms, and I'm scared to show my face outside my room.

I guess there's no lesson here except: don't pan-fry steak after 9pm in a share house.

No comments:

Post a Comment