Friday 25 November 2011

Multitasking, Korean Dinner and Skype.

It's been a BIG day.  I should be sleeping now, but I'll do this to shut my brain down.

I got to work at 6:30am and had a reasonably productive morning.  A defence drawn, and a bunch of other things done.  So, pleasing.  And, I kept moving which was gratifying.

Lunch was supplied by the firm.  The CEO of a regional bank - one of the firms larger clients - was speaking about their business model and so anyone who wanted to could attend.  The bank's business model wasn't my strongest interest, but I'm always interested in a free lunch.  They were good sandwiches, too.

The afternoon became a landslide where I had multiple balls in the air at once and, somehow, managed not to drop any of them.  It consisted of -
  1. Settling a two volume brief to a barrister
  2. Chasing up a plaintiff's solicitor regarding the hearing on Monday for which he hadn't supplied his Court Book.  For some reason he'd decided to post it at 6:30pm yesterday rather than hand delivering it, which meant we wouldn't have it before the hearing.  On being chased, he asked if he could email it (all 166 pages of it).  I then ensured it was passed to the barrister we have briefed.
  3. The aforesaid barrister dropped then the brief at the last minute (well, at about 3:30pm) due to a matter running for longer than expected in court, prompting multiple calls to three Clerks and several barristers to find someone to take it on at the very last minute.  I finally got someone at about 4:55pm and gave them a verbal rundown on the case.
  4. A worker whose claim has been held up multiple times because of erratic strategy from her lawyers was to have a medical examination with a certain doctor on Monday afternoon.  Her lawyer called me at about 2:45 a bit sheepish and said she couldn't go.  she didn't want to see the doctor in question at all, but he'd talked her into that.  The she said she couldn't go because she had to pick up her grandkid from the school bus.  I suspect this last bit was a bullshit excuse she'd cooked up, but whatever.  I pointed out, though, that the next exam with that doctor would be in about 3-4 months.  I didn't add that my own boss would be less than happy if the examination fell through.  So I said, let me make some phone calls...  I tracked down one of my colleagues who has a plaintiff being seen by the same doctor in a week, and asked if I could have them see the doctor Monday, with my plaintiff to take their spot in a week.  She said fine, as long as the plaintiff's solicitors agree.  So, I called this particular solicitor and turned on my most charming voice, and she spoke with her client who agreed to go to their exam on Monday.  Then I called the solicitor for the plaintiff in my matter, offered them the later date (they took it).  I now owe a few favours to several people.
  5. The bank called me to ensure that some of the financial juggling connected with the move got sorted.
  6. I had a detailed email conversation with the estate agent re getting the final clean done on the old house.
  7. I settled a detailed letter of advice for another matter where I really want instructions to fight to the death.

I always say I'm not a multitasker, but I surely managed it this afternoon, and did it without getting flustered, frazzled or otherwise nutty, and brought everything to a correct conclusion.  At one stage  I actually had my office phone to one ear and my mobile to the other and managed to to lose my cool.  Yay me!

So, I felt I'd earned my ciders at after work drinks tonight!  I exercised my social muscle and went out for a couple more drinks with some of my colleagues afterwards, and we then kicked on to a Korean restaurant in Little Lonsdale Street.  I'm still not as much of a social animal as Mrs T.  Partly because in a bar I often find it incredibly difficult to hear a conversation; it just blurs into the surrounding hubbub.  This gets worse as you add alcohol, naturally.  Still, I should practice.  I never, ever, want to hear myself say "I'm too old to learn" about anything, including social skills.  As my University's motto said: "Ancora Imparo" - "I am still learning".

After dinner I went back to the office, got my briefcase and keys and caught the last tram back to the sharehouse.  This weekend will start off with a trip to the estate agent and bank, the storage unit and going to Kalkallo to sell the stroller.  The family gathering has been cancelled: It was to be an outdoor event, and apparently the weather this weekend is going to be apocalyptic.

And, the cherry on the icing on the cake: When I got home I got to skype with Mrs T and the girls!!!!!!!!!  I was so so so so pleased.  Grace, I know, knew who I was which just made my day.  And Rachel was playing at being shy and hiding her little face.  She is such a doll.  Grace has learned a swag of new words, and Rachel looks like she's suddenly big enough to be playing for the Melbourne Storm!  And Mrs T is as beautiful as ever she was.  I'm a lucky guy, indeed!!  She's catching up with one of our friends who also has twins who lives in Houston.  Both sets of twins are being looked after, so they'll be able to find a bar and watch the LSU-Arkansas game.  Geaux Tigers!  It still sucks to be so far apart, but thank the relenting gods for skype.

OK: It's bed time.  Much to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment