Sunday 7 October 2012

A picture Sunday

Hi everyone,

It's pretty late here (1:20am) - I just finished skyping with Joni and the girls.  I swear, those two little princesses are just the most perfect little people in the world.  So sweet, so gentle, so clever and so funny.  Rachel is getting cluier with words all the time and Grace - she's just the funniest, smartest little thing you ever saw.  Grace looked so thrilled to see me, and Rachel kind of cried when it was time to say bye-bye.  I love them more than there were words to say it.

It's been a weekend in town.  By way of a quick recap: On Friday evening I was having some chillout time (on the couch in sweatpants eating cheesy-poofs and watching Big Bang Theory) when Sophie, the former housemate who lives in Albury called me - she was in town and had had a dinner date fall through, so she asked if I wanted to catch up for tapas and a glass of wine.  She was in Fitzroy (about 5 minutes from here), so I met her there.  All was well until I found I'd unwittingly left my car in a permit zone.  Screw you, City of Yarra.

IMG484.jpg

Saturday was frustrating: I was meant to meet the landlord here to sort out some bond paperwork, but an hour and a half late they called me and said they had to cancel.  Grumble.  Anyway, I went into town to get some things from the State Library for a good friend in Maine to do with a shared historical interest (she has a pretty neat historical blog that's worth a look - Heirlooms Reunited).  I was going to go to the office and get caught up on some work, but I got there and remembered I'd left my keycard behind.  Back I trekked to Brunswick, then back to the office.  That was an hour and a half well spent.  Gripe.  The evening was good though - Sophie teed up a dinner at a Lebanese grill for her and me and two other ex-housemates, Toby and KP, so it made for a really fun evening.  Although I can tell you, there was no good place to look when the belly dancer came out.  Where is a man meant to look when the dancer is wearing a thigh split velvet skirt, a fuzzy green bra, and dancing with a couple of swords?

IMG491.jpg

And no, it was not possible to get a better photo!

After that I came back here and scribbled a bit more about Richard III.  I do this odd thing where I want to explore ideas.  If I just need to bash something out, a keyboard is fine.  If I want to write while pondering, I reach for a nib-pen and a bottle of ink.  Having to do the words slowly and carefully kind of makes you slow down and think things through.

IMG492.jpg

Today I discovered I'd been robbed of an hour by daylight savings.  I spent most of the day at the office quite productively.  Dinner was hamburgers smothered with soy and barbeque sauces, served between slices of toast with avocado and tomato.  Simple but delicious (have made a spare one for lunch tomorrow - just knowing it's there will get me through the morning!).  And now, skype, blogging and bed.

Incidentally, in the twitter feed from one of my favourite college football teams, the San Diego State University Aztecs, there was a beautiful photograph of a sunset over their football field.  For some reason, the photo says something to me about hope and new beginnings and life and maturity and courage that I can't quite put into words.  Anyway, they very nicely said I could re-use it on my blog, so here it is -

Embedded image permalink

Fear the Spear!

See you tomorrow folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment