Monday 13 February 2012

Busy Monday

Hi everyone,

It's been a whirlwind of a day!

I was in the office by 8:30 and made the necessary phone calls to get instructions for the mention and hearing that were on this morning, plus to get a briefing from one of my colleagues on a couple of appearances he needed me to tackle this morning as well.  Then, down to Court.  I tackled the mentions no problem, then turned to the hearing we had on.  The following 5 hours or so were a blur of negotiation between the insurer, the barrister and my boss.  Obviously I can't disclose details, but I emerged having fulfilled our instructions despite some obstruction which could only be managed by me actually discovering I had some steel in my spine.  This was a frankly astonishing discovery - usually I'm not the strongest willed person on earth, for my sins.  But I managed this pretty well.  In hindsight, I would have done one or two things differently, but nothing major.  So, how 'bout that?  The thing is, it was a set of activities I could never have managed when I began with the firm, so I'm kind of pleased about that.

The balance of the day was straightforward.  A couple of fairly intense case reviews with my boss, plus a bit of catch-up work after quitting time.  The after hours work was a bit hampered when I accidentally locked myself out of the office when I went to the toilet.  It took me a solid 45 minutes to track one of the cleaners down to let me in!

Hmm, this entry doesn't really convey what a blur of activity today actually was.  Sorry.  I'm afraid I don't have a great deal else to report.  Well, apart from that a file I didn't think was going to settle anytime soon may now settle inside a fortnight - at about 6pm the plaintiff's solicitors sent me a fax saying they're not going ahead with an appeal they'd been considering.  So that's another file we can get a bill out for pronto.

OK, I guess that's all for now.  Hope your days are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment