Saturday 11 February 2012

Had. A. Blast!


Hi Everyone,

I had a blast!  Aftger I posted the last entry I attended to a few other odds and ends, and then went down and made lunch.  I had some gumbo left over, so I was going to make up some rice and mix it heavily therewith, in proportions of roughly 40% Gumbo and 60% rice.  Unfortunately my maths sucks (proportions were about 10% Gumbo and 90% Rice.  So lunch was (ahem) a little starchy.

I headed out and met Drew and Brendan at the kart track at 2pm.  we spent about an hour and a half talking away before our slot came up to go round - just yakking away about fishing and work and suchlike, so that was fun.  Two other groups were also on when we were racing, but that didn't cut in on the entertainment of it all.  If anything, it made it a bit more challenging having all those extra cars on the track (although we did come to grief where one of the other drivers and I collided our sides in one corner, which meant he couldn't turn and slammed into his mate who was stationary at the side of the track having stalled his motor; both of them looked a bit banged up after the race, and one of them had a bloodied lip; although they did keep going after we left, so the injuries presumably weren't too bad).  Brendan and Drew pretty well caned me in terms of speed and driving ability but Goddammit pelting around the track at high speed on bald tyres was a barrel of fun!

We finished up at about 5:10, and as Brendan had to head back to Wangaratta and Drew to his family, we went our separate ways.  I headed back into the City and decided to try the vigil Mass at St Brigid's in Carlton (pictured).  A good Mass, done straight by a priest with a ?Latin American accent.  And it's a pretty and intimate church, so I might make that my usual parish.  We'll see.  Then back to here.  I couldn't resist taking a photo of the van parked out the front of the house.  Kind of a cliche on wheels: It had out-of-state plates, a parking ticket (parked on wrong side of road), and for the hippy piece-de-resistance, a pass to the Woodend Folk Festival and a gas mask stencilled on the front of it in silver paint.  I have to say: I don't think the driver was being ironic either!
 
When it came to dinner, as the gumbo was essentially gumbo flavoured rice, I decided to use it as a side dish and to forage for a main.  For want of better options, the main was one of the rolls I bought yesterday, with beetroot and
bacon bits and cheese melted all over it.  So, not a fancy dinner, but filling and tasted good!  Then, back up here to do some studying and type a blogpost. 

I'll try for an early night again tonight (11pm).  Joni and I have arranged to skype tomorrow, which is great.  So looking forward to seeing her and the girls!  I just miss them, which sucks immensely.  Soon we'll be back together, but to be honest the time does seem to drag.  It sometimes feels like the best time in the working week is when I get paid, because then I can put another deposit against the cost of the move.  Sigh.  Well, no use moaning about it.  And, I guess it's good in one way.  As regular readers might have picked up, I feel so much more comfortable in my skin now than I ever did before.  That has to make me a better husband for Joni and a better Dad for my little girls.  That was always hard on Joni, when I always seemed to be teetering on the edge of a breakdown, and I know she was always worried the girls would pick that up from me.  So being apart, even though it sucks hard, is a priceless chance for me to keep up the process of getting my head on straight.  That white picket fence might take a little longer to get for them, but I know for sure I'll give it to them.

       Never late were favours divine!: Niccolo Macchiavelli

OK, I guess I should have a shower and then come back and post this and turn in. I hope you're all having good days too!

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment