Friday 10 February 2012

Cufflinks day replay!



Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of a post last night.  I had every intention to write a post - I'd even turned the computer on - but it got to 11pm and I was just so tired I could barely think straight.

Right now it's a cloudy Saturday morning.  There was a belt of rain just before, and I'm typing this with breakfast beside me, and waiting to hear back from Joni as to times to skype.

Yesterday was a good day.  I declared it a cufflink day again (well, actually, a dufflink day: the picture says it all)   The energetic vibe was there (with a little caffeine kickstarter in the morning).  I spent a significant whack of the morning processing a massive bundle of papers on a new file, drawing our defence and planning a strategy.  I was even able to do something I wouldn't have thought I'd ever do: sent an email to my boss saying I know this file is on for review on Monday week, but would it suit you to review it Monday since we're in a position to get the ball rolling.

At lunch I scurried down to the supermarket at Southern Cross Station to pick up some odds and ends I needed (bread rolls, tinned fish and mandarins).  I walked past the latest development on Lonsdale Street on the way.  Me, I think this one is getting a bit too carried away by its own marketing: I don't know if the photo will be clear enough to show you what I mean.  In essence, they are advertising this as "The New York End of Lonsdale Street" and "Upper West Side" and "NYC @ MEL".  Never having been to New York City, I might not be in a position to have an opinion, but I'm pretty sure the bits of NYC that they want to emulate don't look that much like the crummier end of Lonsdale Street (lapdancing clubs, semi-empty buildings, and carparking businesses).

I traded a few emails with Joni after lunch about Valentines Day.  I wondered if there was anything she specially wanted.  She said not, which is probably sensible given that she's setting up in the new place and having more "stuff" is probably not what she needs.  Hmm.  I'd still like to get her something though; maybe a voucher to go get a massage or something as she likes that sort of thing.

The afternoon I spent tackling a number of the other jobs I had on the plate, including getting a new barrister for the hearing on Monday as the one we'd briefed had to drop us.  After work drinks were pleasant, but a bit curtailed - people had places to go to, and I was tired.  I'd tinkered with going to the movies - it turns out that work gives folks a couple of movie vouchers on their birthdays! - to go to see the new Underworld movie but decided to hold that over for another night.  I came back here and had another roll with fish plus some mandarins for dinner and watched a bit of a DVD of Family Guy.  As I said, I planned to type a blogpost but was tired as hell and decided to turn in at 11pm, first turning off my phone and alarm clock.  I woke up a couple of times though the night (which usually happens when I turn in early) but otherwise slept through until 8am and felt much better for it.  Incidentally, the cosmos seemed to be encouraging the energetic vibe as well: when I got back here I found I'd received in the mail the last 3 issues of the ABA Journal, so that was a bit of a high-five from God as it seemed to me.

Today (Saturday) is the "Mens Day" I mentioned the other weekend, so at 2pm I'll head out to the go-kart track at Somerton to help a good friend get over a breakup.  Some people get over it with whisky and country music, but if what he needs is the smell of a two-stroke motor, then that's what he gets.  I suspect there will also be beer.  Thank God my Medibank premiums are paid up!

OK, I'll update you later and tell you how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment