Saturday 2 June 2012

Eye of the Wombat

Martin: So I decided to get into training and went for a run this morning. Every time I slowed down he pulled up beside me with a megaphone and shouted "Eye of the wombat!"
Simon: "Eye of the wombat"?
Nudge: I didn't think he was quite ready for "Eye of the tiger".

                                                                                                      - "Hey Dad" (c. 1993)


So I've thoroughly enjoyed not being at the office today. I kicked off Juneathon with a run from here to St Marys and back, which made a round trip of 6.6 kilometers in 40.26 minutes. Not such a bad start, I think, and I've felt great all day since.  In case you're interested, my route is pretty much this.


I had a GREAT skype with Joni and the girls last night, although it always leaves me missing them even more. I know you can't have love without pain when you're apart, but Goddammit it's hard sometimes.

After the run today I went and got the week's groceries. I wanted to buy more fresh food for the week rather than everything out of packets and tins. Which is why I'm typing the initial draft of this as I cook a pea and ham soup using a shitload of dried peas and two hambones I bought for bugger all at the supermarket as well as celery, bell pepper and onion.

I worked on a few things this afternoon, and I'll clean up my room tonight (how old am I again? It feels like I just went from being 34 to being 13)

[insert a gap to finish aforesaid soup, have dinner and come back up and type an email to Joni and now finish this post with iTunes radio playing K95 country from Richmond, Virginia]

The soup came out like a charm, smooth and full of flavour and with a delicious smoky taste from the ham hocks.  Mmm, mmmm!  I dare say even Joni - who is an awesome cook - would have been impressed.   I even managed not to commit my usual sin of overseasoning such that everything just comes out tasting of cayenne pepper.

OK, I'm tired indeed.  Bedtime.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment