Tuesday 13 November 2012

A blogging on blogging linkup!

A linkup?  Why not.  Let's talk about this blogging thing

What is your blog about?

My blog is best described as an online diary.  Usually I'll update it once a day, mostly in the evening; sometimes at lunch or on the tram to work, with whatever I feel like describing.  Usually that'll be what's happened that day, or something that I need to talk about / vent about, or something I want to share.  I try not to go heavy on the opinion blogging.  There's more than enough of people in the world who are convinced about the rightness of their views.

Why did you start blogging?

I've always loved writing and wanted to see if I could write every day.  If you look at the early posts you'll find them more self-consciously "literary".  It then morphed into a way of dealing with some personal issues I was having, and then into a way of writing and being friends with a whole new cast of characters in my life.

What's something your readers know about you?

They know I have two daughters I love more than anything.  They know I'm living in a sharehouse.  They know I'm trying to get fit, and they know I find the world a fascinating place.

What can't you live without?

Oxygen.  Terrible important stuff, oxygen.

What inspires your blog posts?

Whatever's happened that day, as a rule.  Sometimes what's in the news.  And often new steps on the way to self-knowledge.

What do you do when you feel uncreative?





It doesn't happen often, at least with on-blog writing.  When it hits with off-blog writing I'll often just pick up the pen (yes, pen, with a nib and a bottle of ink) and start writing any half baked ideas I have, and just turn out a few pages of dross and rag ends of thought.  This is usually enough to flush at least one good idea out of my melon.

How has blogging changed you?

I think it's helped me to bring out a lot of new sides to my personality.  I think, seeing people whose lives are exciting and fulfilling helps challenge me to re-evaluate my own life.  Those who are content and peaceful help me to ask if I'm finding my own form of contentment.  And people who are loving and gentle remind me to keep those parts of my identity intact too.

What advice do you have for new bloggers?

If you want to be a blogger, blog.  Don't just say you have a blog if you never update it, and don't worry if you don't seem to have any readers.  Just keep writing and saying things and you'll develop a style of your own.  And read and comment on lots of other peoples blogs - it's a great way to make friends!

Last but not least! What blogs inspire you?

Ones you might not expect.  Two biggies would be Chasing Butterflies and Cori at Everyday Enchanted, because they're two people who always seem to have something bright and cheery to say.  I'd add to this list Little Red Blog'n Rouge.  Another great one is Figuring Out the Plot, by someone who really does make a point of living an extraordinary life.

I'd like to give a big shoutout to two other blogs by people who make an art of just getting out and living their lives and being real.  So, head on over and show a little blog-love to Heartland Girl and Land of Milk and Honey!


Looking forward to reading other peoples responses to these questions!

2 comments:

  1. Blogging does help the personality. I feel this is true for me as well. Love your can't live without answer. I am doing a linky party today if you would like to join.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oxygen is very important! can't get enough of it! I agree, if you want to blog, blog. that is why I started blogging.

    ReplyDelete