Tuesday 27 November 2012

In which my brain shifts gears

Hi everyone,

I'm starting this post at about 4:15pm.  I've just finished an intense couple of hours overhauling one advice and I'm doing this to let my brain shift gears before I go back to the one I was doing this morning.

There's been a bundle of work done since the preceding post.  Yesterday the sky was clouded over when I left the house, but I thought I should be OK to get to the office before it rained, so I left the umbrella behind.

Fail.


Fail


Fail


I'd just gotten off the tram a block from my building when the heavens opened.  The rain fell in sheets like it does in Melbourne and I spent some quality time huddling in a doorway waiting for it to lighten enough to make a bolt for the office.


I spent yesterday morning at court negotiating in a worker's comp dispute which settled just after lunch.  Spending time at court is entertaining, but God it's time-consuming.  Anyway, I spent the afternoon drafting an advice and doing some other work.  I wound up leaving the office at about 10pm last night.  When I got back to the casa I ironed a couple of shirts and went for a much needed run to clear the fog from my head.

I had an email from Joni through the morning that the girls have picked up a bug.  She sent me a picture of them at the doctor's rooms.  Poor little Rachel looked so miserable and I just wanted to be there to pick her up and cuddle her and blow cool air on her little face.  I made do with ordering them each a little "get well" present on Amazon.

Disney Piglet Certified Organic Plush
At least I know they couldn't be in better hands than with Joni.

Last night's run was rewarding - about 6kms / 4 miles in about 33 minutes.  I was able to keep up a stiff pace the whole way and even manage a sprint over the last few hundred hards.  It's good when you can feel yourself getting stronger.  When I got back I didn't feel like eating so I gave dinner a miss and turned in.  Whatever the pros and cons of running late in the evening, it's greate when you've done it, and had a shower, and can then drift off to sleep feeling your muscles de-clench as the cool night air dances on your skin.

Today has been all paperwork, and one case review which I aced (after one yesterday which was a bit of a mess). 

A propos of nothing, I noticed the other day that I'm less and less interested in the opinion and editorial debates in the media than I used to be.  I always used to be fascinated by the debates in the Age and on the ABC and so on.  Now, it sounds to me so hackneyed, so mean-spirited, so pompous.  Is it just me that thinks that?  Or do you think one of the spinoffs of the 24 hour news cycle isn't an increase in the number of things people say as much as an increase in how often they say it?

All righty, I need to get back to business and finish this next advice off.

More later.

2 comments:

  1. Your fail made me smile, because all I could think about what…Been there, done that, it sucked…. But yet after the fact of getting soaked to the bone it does bring out a smile when you realize… you were the “dork” that was too lazy to carry the umbrella. HEHE 

    Mrs. T
    myfrontporch1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were pretty much my thoughts. Along with "It just needed to hold off for ten more minutes... ten more damn minutes..."!

    ReplyDelete