Friday 23 November 2012

Thanksgiving for One

Hi Everyone,

Thanksgiving day here (after allowing for timezones). Naturally, not a holiday, so it was me and the files at the office.

As with most of the holidays this year, I'm a little conflicted. I've absorbed so much American DNA that for better or worse the holidays do mean something to me. But I guess you can also understand why at the same time it feels a little like salt being rubbed into the wound.  Still, to play with the metaphor, salt is a somewhat crude antiseptic, which is why I'm not fighting the hurt so much as getting to know it.  As I've quoted before: if you're gonna eat tuna, expect bones.

So, this evening's Thanksgiving-for-one was marked by a 6km run, a weight check (down to 91 kgs!!!), and then turkey breast sandwiches with Jarlsberg cheese and pumpkin soup (yeah, it came from a can rather than being home made - sue me for knowing my culinary limitations!).

Ain't no point frying a turkey for just yourself!


It wasn't a bad way to so dinner, all things considered.  If I'd been able to watch the replay of the Dallas-Redskins game on ESPN it would have capped it off nicely, but unfortunately one of my housemates already had the TV and wanted to watch every last nauseating ABBA infused moment of Mamma Mia.

Incidentally, my initial idea for tonight was to get some turkey meat and fry it it peanut oil.  It's probably just as well, as the only obviously available turkey meat at the supermarket was this stuff -


I'm sure you'll agree that that idea kinda had "EPIC FAIL" written all over it!
 
I messaged Joni this morning to give the girls a kiss and wish them happy Thanksgiving.  They must have had an awesome - and nap heavy! - day.  Love those little princesses - hoping I can tee up a time to skype this weekend.

OK, I guess that's it.  I'm in town this weekend so as to catch up on work - a little bit swamped right now.  Will try to get something fun in as well though.

See  you tomorrow folks.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Stephen,

    I just wanted to say that I stopped over to say Hi and let you know I am a new follower! I can not wait to read more of your blog!

    Happy Thanksgiving Stephen!

    Mrs. T @ Myfrontporch1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete