Thursday 7 May 2015

A linkup? Why not!

I haven't been part of a linkup in years.  This, though, seems a good one to come back in on: a series of thoughts.

http://beautifulthingswithm.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/you-know-someone-told-me-that-thursday.html

So, here goes: I think ...

1. ... that I may look weird being the only guy to be posting as part of this linkup.  Well, I'm not here to be obnoxious, so no matter.  It's an odd thing but I seem to talk to women more readily than men - I guess that's what comes of growing up in a house where the old man was away a lot, leaving me with my mother and three sisters.  Maybe this is why I like the blogosphere!

2. ... that this will be a fun weekend: I'm off on at the SES's chainsaw operator's course.  It's accredited training, so all being well it'll help me land work.  Being unemployed got old a long time ago!

3. ... that I may need to find a way to have a heart-to-heart with the old man about his health.  Like most old farmers, he has a stubborn streak a mile wide and deep.  That said, he really isn't taking care of his health.  Hmm.

4. ... that the UK general election is fascinating to watch.  My personal sympathies tend to lie with the more libertarian UKIP


but I find the European Union a fascinating political and philosophical project.


Let's be honest though, who hasn't wanted to paste this sign on their house after an election at some time?


5. ... that at some point I need to write something (blogpost ahoy?) on the subject of 'home'.  It's an idea that's had a hold of me ever since I first felt deracinated when I went to university.  There seemed to be a sense of having a home (or feeling notalgia for it) in Counting Crows' song "Omaha" and in Joel Sternberg's photo "Lady out shopping with her rabbit".


I thought that an ideal home would be a middling-size town, and people in a middling-size town the best of all possible friends. Having now had up-close-and-personal experience with such towns I think the jury is out on that assessment, and leaning towards a verdict of "not proven".

6. ... that when I'm employed again I may celebrate with a trip to the ballet in Melbourne.  Yes, it may be weird for a guy to say that; I don't care.  It seems to me to combine the athleticism of elite sport, the grace of sculpture and the drama of opera.  What's not to like?

And now, off to read other people's blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment