Sunday 24 May 2015

How I didn't lay turf today...

Hi everyone,

Today has been kind of a misfire.  As mentioned yesterday, I had work with Daryl the Gardener lined up and duly lobbed up at his place at 9am.  We needed to buy a few tools at Bunnings and the headed to the job site in northern Shepparton.

The site is a rented house in a newish housing development where the landlord wants the tenant to weed the front and back yards after which we're to lay turf down.  Apparently she'll save a couple of dollars by not having us do the weeding, although this seems like an epic false economy to me since we'll be stripping the topsoil back anyway; still, it's her work to give.


In the event, the tenant had not done the weeding and Daryl declared that we could go no further that day.  I pegged out the areas for turfing and as of midday clocked off.


I have to say I was a bit annoyed by knocking off after doing little more than hammer in a few pegs and putting out builder's string, but what can you do? I'm labour, not management.

Since I was in town I went to the library to check the job ads in the local papers without seeing anything.  I borrowed a couple of books and headed back to the farm.

The old boy and Michael had gone to Violet Town by the time j got back, so I attended to a few other things and took the dog on a good long walk.


I noticed (which I hadn't before) how one of the strainers and stay-rails have been cut from trees on the place, which seemed rather cool.


Having some time around sunset I squeezed in a short ride and then warmed up by the fire. Michael and the old boy were back around dark.

Not for the first time, I'm missing my old life tonight - when I'd work late at the office, sometimes even make dinner there (I did this a lot at Hall & Wilcox) hen get the late train or tram back to wherever I was living.  On Friday evenings, a night time walk along the esplanade at Elwood Beach and then get a pizza and a bottle of wine from Anabella's at Glenhuntly.  Life, even though narrow, still seemed to contain a lot of possibilities. Well, I guess now I still need to keep looking for The Next Thing. Whatever if is, it'll be good.

Enough philosophising!  Hope all is well with you good people wherever you are.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment