Monday 9 July 2012

Hi everyone,

It's been an interesting day.

OK, interesting is probably overselling it.  I didn't sleep so well last night for some reason, waking up at 2:30am and 4:00am, but I still managed to be on my feet in good time this morning and was at work at a decent hour.  I spent the morning ploughing through a Supreme Court damages matter and was about two-thirds of the way through when I ducked out to meet with Daryl T and another gentleman about some legal issues for the family that I need to email my sisters about (I just realised I forgot to call my little sister and bring her up to speed; bugger).

I had lunch at my desk and then went into a case review with my boss re a serious injury file and acquitted myself tolerably well despite being honourably wrong in the conclusion I'd reached.  The balance of the afternoon was spent actioning the work from the review, until it got to 7:00pm and I decided to exercise moderation and call it a day.  I came back here and made up dinner and then came up here.

I'm getting a little disconcerted by the secretary I've been allocated.  It was made clear to me by my boss, with whom I share her, that she's a secretary, rather than an assistant.  That is, she can type, file, prepare documents, etc etc.  But she won't do a great deal on her own initiative and (his words) shouldn't be asked to do a lot that needs independent thought.  Watching her getting flustered today when she couldn't find a file, I'm coming to understand what he meant.  This could be a problem.  Patchy secretarial support was one of the things that helped drive me out of the job before this.  well, that as well as mind numbing work, lousy pay, a career dead end and an IT system designed by this guy -



Still, she seems like a nice lady, and sometimes it's just a question of finding out how to get the best out of someone.  So we'll see.

OK, I need to catch up on some sleep.  Time for a shave, a shower, and bed.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment