Sunday 22 July 2012

Sunday without photos

Hi everyone,

So I‘m still having trouble uploading yesterday‘s post, so this is coming to you live from my phone.

It‘s been a quiet Sunday. Breakfast here, and watching the French news on SBS. I went in to the office despite having some doubt it was a good idea. Not because I‘m feeling exactly worn out, but that my head felt “full“. As if every idea I‘ve had in the last few weeks was in there at once and none of them had any room to move around. Anyway, I didn‘t push it and got a good couple of productive hours work out. And while I was on a break, I found a ‘history-worthy‘ article on the website of the Baton Rouge Advocate.

I went to a packed 6pm Mass at St Francis‘. It was an interesting homily, on the response of compassion and how that even should be given, if we can, to those who commit great crimes and wreck their own humanity (and, one might add, disfigure the image of God stamped on them). This lead me to a more troubling line of thinking along the lines of: should we, then, view as saints those who so destroy their own souls, who take on that burden, for the good of their nation or the church or both (e.g. Francisco Franco, Phillipe Petain, maybe even Pontius Pilate and Judas Iscariot). I didn‘t find this a satisfactory answer, so I think my reasoning has gone astray somewhere.

St Francis‘ has a beautiful Marian shrine to the side of the church, so I lit three candles there for Joni and Grace and Rachel and said a few HMs for them. I hope they‘re doing ok, especially Rachel. Dad always makes a point of asking after her when he calls, which really means a lot to me.

Back here after Mass. Dinner of fettucine with peas, tuna, carrots and onions, and a long yarn to Sanjay the housemate. Read a bit and finished a long Hayden White essay I‘ve been wading through. And now blogging.

Ok, I guess that‘s it. Hope all your days are good too!

Be happy.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment