Tuesday 14 April 2015

An interview

Hi everyone,

Typing this using Shepparton Library's wi-fi.  I come to be in town this afternoon following an encouraging conversation about a job I applied for at Strathmerton (about an hour north of here).  The labour hire company who would be the actual exployer wanted to see me for a briefing about the role and an initial physical assessment.  Could I come in this afternoon?

Yes.  Yes I could.

The interview/briefing and physical went well and God willing it'll lead to something.  It'd be factory work but I'm not averse to that.  The pay would be pretty good and with a large host-employer.  Fingers crossed.  The assessment, incidentally, was to see if I had past shoulder or knee problems, restrictions on bending and so on.  I'd already been cycling today and so I was feeling pretty good and flexible and think I acquitted myself pretty good.  I'm actually feeling good generally - I had a weigh in this morning and found I'm now down to 80kgs.  So close to being down to the 75kg level I want to be!  I thought about typing this at the Gloria Jeans, but the voice in my head told me: why undo your hard work with a towering mug of saturated fat?  Instead I'll pick up some dried figs from Coles on the way and maybe a couple of peaches.

The bike ride I mentioned went like a charm - just under 18 kms in 54 minutes, which I felt pretty strong doing.  I think I'm getting the hang of how all the gears work together!

No new calves that the dog or I found this morning.  The dog's favourite game, by the way, is making calves run (I discourage him from this).  The thing is that cows will usually bed their calves down for the day somewhere that seems safe - behind a rise in the ground, or behind a tussock or something, so that she can go and graze.  The dog's great sport is to roust the calf out of its hiding spot and send it scampering, calling out "maaaaaaaaaaa!".  When we get a few more calves on the ground, incidentally, the cattle set up what one might call a Kälbergarten (or, a kindergarten for calves!).  It's almost exactly what it seems: all the calves will be deposited together by their mothers, and one or two of the cows will stay with them so the rest of the herd can go off and graze.  I know that sounds too cute to exist outside of Disney, but I've seen it happen many many times over the years.  I'll make sure I get a picture of one this year and share it with you all.

More later if there's news to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment