Friday 17 April 2015

Hedges and Me

Hi everyone,

So it's been a big day today!  You remember I said the other day that one of my friends at SES asked if I was interested in some work hedge-trimming with him?  Today was the day we headed over to tackle the job.

The house turned out to be in the relatively newly-built part of Shepparton. The husband of the client is apparently sick in hospital and she wants to surprise him by having the hedge done by the time he's discharged.

Darryl was more than happy to share the work with me, and I found I did far better than I thought I would.  It may sound silly to say it, but I found myself confidently wielding chainsaw and hedge trimmer, and powering along despite the rain with the pruners and saw, feeling confident and strong in a way that, mostly, I don't.  It's an odd thing but there you go.

It turned out to be a pretty good job, essentially talking the hedge back to sticks so it'll grow dense and bushy when spring comes again.

This was what we met when we arrived: 


This was what we left behind -


The client was happy with it, and Darryl says he's happy to split similar jobs with me with pay for the work 50/50 between us (which today put $70 in my pocket, at which I am not sneering!). Feel rather proud of it all. Whatever my faults, nobody can say I'm work-shy.

After knocking off I stopped at Victoria Park lake to use the facilities - it looked oddly pretty in the rain:


Went on to Aldi to get some dinner for the dog and me.

This will be a big weekend: to Melbourbd tomorrow to say at my sister's place overnight (if I have time and the weather holds I think I'll hire a bike and cycle St KildaEsplanade). Then to Ballarat bright and early for the Half Marathon. I'm i. A world-beating frame of mind just now!

Have a great Friday everyone! 


4 comments:

  1. I just entered a comment via Google Account and not sure whether it disappeared. Anyway, great work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is you Tina? Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. WOW! That looks like it was a JOB. Nice work Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Anita :) It surely got the biceps bulging!

      Delete