Sunday 19 April 2015

Cafe Review: The Lazy Roo, Daylesford

In my previous post I mentioned that I stopped in Daylesford on the drive back to Tatura.  The place I settled on to get a coffee was the Lazy Roo Cafe and I wanted to take a minute to recommend it.

The Lazy Roo Cafe is located at Shop 16, Rex Arcade, 47-53 Vincent Street, Daylesford.  "Rex" is an old style arcade with a cinema at one end.  This is a good thing, because it means it's a little removed from the busy-ness of the town's main strip.


The strongest impression when you go in is that this is a place that aims more than anything to be welcoming but not unchallenging.  By way of example, the chairs and tables are mostly attractively rustic and distressed timber, but this is combined with a concrete floor.  I'm probably overthinking the decor but it seemed to be saying "be comfortable but don't turn your brain off".


I wasn't in the mood for food especially and so I can't comment on the meals, but going from the menu plus what I saw brought out, I got the impression their preference is to do a limited number of things really well, rather than a large number of things okay.  I wanted warming up and ordered chai latte and one of their chocolate chip biscuits.  The biscuit was large and crumbly and good but without the feeling that it was doing epic calorific damage to me.  The coffee was first class - certainly in the top three chai lattes I've ever had and so good I ordered another one.  Total cost of two coffees and a biscuit was about $10.00


Service was friendly and quick. The music in the background was jazz that was loud enough to listen to and soft enough to ignore (depending on one's preference) and copies of the local Hepburn Advocate were available for browsing.  I can certainly recommend this as a first class stopping point if you're on that stretch of the Midland Highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment