Thursday 30 April 2015

NSW Deployment - day 1A

Hi everyone,

Here I am in Lismore, NSW.  I actually typed this entry on the road and tried to post it from my iTouch, but there were tech issues that stopped it.  All my photos are on the iTouch, by the way, so this entry will be textual I'm afraid.

Anyway, we got to Melbourne airport this afternoon for muster at 3pm. It was explained that a BIG rain dump is expected in northeastern NSW over the next few days - hence the request for more crews.

A chai latte later half of the volunteers present were boarding a Virgin flight and the other half on a Qantas flight. I was on Virgin, and seated with a nice chap named Ian from the north-East RSU and a volunteer from a unit near Geelong; we all talked happily for the flight up.

We hit a little turbulence coming into Brisbane. Once in the ground it was explained that volunteers from the country units would go to Lismore (a fairly rural area) and the city-based units to Tweed Heads, a more urban area.  Coaches were supplied to get us to our respective towns over the border in NSW.  By this stage it was getting a bit late: dinner was a (surprisingly good) lamb and feta wrap from the McDonalds at the Coomera BP.  We're all bunking in different motels.  Rain was falling pretty much all the way and is still falling now.  Looks like the forecasters will be right.

Don't think I said in the last post that I didn't get the job at ANZ.  Apparently I got very close but no cigar. I'm a little bummed about that: feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall some days.

Anyway, you never know.  Eyes are coding so I'll post this now. Need to sleep!

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment